The International English Language Testing System (IELTS®) assesses the English language proficiency of people who want to study or work where English is used as the language of communication. IELTS is tested up to four times a month in over 1,000 locations across the world.
IELTS test takers can choose between two versions of the test depending on their academic or professional aims, or visa requirements.
- IELTS Academic measures the English language proficiency needed for an academic, higher education environment.
- IELTS General Training measures English language proficiency in a practical, everyday context. This version of the test is also often a visa requirement for those planning to migrate to English speaking countries including Australia, the UK, and New Zealand.
All candidates take the same Listening and Speaking components but different Reading and Writing components.
More about IELTS
- IELTS is designed by experts in English language assessment
- More than 2.2 million IELTS tests are taken each year
- IELTS is a widely accepted English language test with a one-on-one speaking test to assess your English language communication skills
- Devised by experts in English language evaluation and trusted around the world.